Idlis (South Indian Dish) have forever been considered a healthy snack as the calorie content in one idli is about 30 calorie. Very light & very healthy.
Whenever I make idlis at home I make it a point to prepare enough idlis to have them with sambar on day one (like completely South Indian style), and keep enough for the day two, to prepare idli upma.
Upma can also be made from Rava (Semolina), oats as well as bread. Any of these upmas is healthy. It is a very common breakfast dish in many households in India (including mine) ☺️. My husband loves it and it very convenient for me to make. So if I can’t think of anything else, Upma comes to my rescue 😬. Idli Upma is not that common, but is very healthy and you should consider this option during your weight loss journey. Well otherwise also, there is no tax on eating healthy .. right?
Let’s note down the ingredients.
Each Idli has about 30 calories, and so idli upma can be a really great breakfast option during… Click To Tweet
- Take a wok and pore the oil into it. Let it heat.
- Put the mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste and sauté for 1/2 a minute.
- Put the Kari leaves and sliced onions into the wok.
- Sauté for 2 minutes, till the onions are transparent.
- Put the boiled potatoes & green chilli and mix.
- Put all the spices: salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder & sambar masala and mix again for half a minute.
- Add the broken idlis into the wok and fold to mix well such that the masala is properly coated over the idlis.
- Garnish with Cilantro before serving.
The delicious low calorie & healthy idly upma is ready. This dish is to be served hot and can be eaten in your breakfast as well as the mid morning (11 AM) or evening snack (6 PM) with the awesome masala tea.
Certainly try this & write to me with your experience.
I will be back with more healthy recipes to make your weight loss journey a delight… XOXO.