Have you ever tired mushroom casserole in white sauce? Oh well, if you haven’t tried it yet then now is the time to try something new and yummy. Needless to say, it is very easy to prepare as well.
This meal is a veggie lover’s dream: Loaded with Mushrooms that are a great source of protein, vitamin C, and iron; Capsicum boosts immunity and is also a rich source of Vitamin C and many more healthy veggies.
- Mushroom: 1/2 Cup sliced (I used tinned mushrooms, you can use fresh too)
If you are taking fresh mushrooms, just saute´them in one teaspoon oil.
- Capsicum: 1/2 Cup chopped (you can youse all 3 colors green, red and yellow)
- Onion: 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Baby Corn: 1/2 Cup chopped
- Boiled Corn: 1/2 Cup
- Garlic: 2 Cloves finely chopped
- Bread: 6 pieces (apply just a little oil/ ghee on both sides of the bread and toast all pieces)
- Butter: 1 tablespoon
- All Purpose Flour (Maida): 2 tablespoons
- Milk: 1.5 cups
- Cheese: 1/2 Cup grated
- Salt: to taste
- Black Pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Bread Crumbs: 1/4 Cup
(You can choose to put more veggies as per your choice.)
Step 1: Mushroom, Capsicum and Boiled Corn in White Sauce
- Take a skillet and heat it. Put butter into it. Let the butter melt and put the garlic pieces.
- Saute´ for 1/2 a minute and then put onion, continue to stir.
- Put capsicum, baby corn boiled corns and mushrooms.
- Now put the all purpose flour (maida) into the pan and mix well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Slowly pour the milk into the pan and mix well. Add the grated cheese to it as well and keep mixing well.
- Simmer the gas and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour a little more milk if you feel so, mix and again keep it for a minute on a low gas flame.
- Turn off the gas, put black pepper, stir and keep the white sauce mixture aside.
Step 2: Prepare Casserole:
- Take a flat casserole, and apply oil on all its internal sides.
- Place the pre-toasted bread on the base, which is your bottom layer.
- Put a thin layer of the White Sauce prepared in Step 1.
- Repeat the Bread Layer and the white sauce layer as Layer 3 and Layer 4 respectively.
- Top the casserole with breadcrumbs (you can also top this with grated cheese, but don’t add too much… remember your weight loss goal 😂😂)
Step 3: Baking Before Serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 120 degrees and put the casserole in the oven and bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Your Healthy Bread, Capsicum, Boiled Corn & Mushroom Casserole is ready to serve.
You can have this casserole dish as any of your main meals. It is absolutely delicious and healthy at the same time. Do come back to like the post once you have tried this recipe.