Oats are considered one of the healthiest grains available today. Excellent for weight loss, they also have numerous other health benefits such as they help reduce blood sugar levels as well as the risk of heart diseases.
Oats are loaded with important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant plant compounds. While regular oats take a long time to cook, I prefer to use instant oats in all my recipes with oats ingredient as these take much less time to cook.
In my earlier posts, I had given the recipe of Idli Upma, which is also a healthy breakfast option. Today I am going to give you another upma recipe, which is also very tasty & nutritious breakfast dish. It is also famously known as masala oats.
* You can add capsicum, green peas, boiled potato or any other veggies that you like, into the upma to make it even more nutritious.
Preparation (10 minutes)
- Heat a flat pan & put the oats into the pan.
- Dry roast the oats by continuously stirring it for a minute or so. Take it out on a plate and keep aside
- In the same pan put oil and let it heat.
- Add Asafoetida & mustard seeds to the oil
- Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the onions and green chillis
- Sauté the onions till they turn transparent.
- Add the veggies – carrots & beans. Just sprinkle a little water, mix and then cover the lid for 1-2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, check on the veggies to see if they are cooked. If not cover the lid again. Don’t overcook the veggies. They will taste better if they stay a little crunchy.
- Add spices – salt, turmeric & chili power and sauté for half a minute
- Put boiled corn and oats into the pan. Add 2 1/2 cups of water, stir well and close the lid.
- After 2 minutes, open the lid and stir well. Let the water dry.
- Add black pepper and cilantro.
Serve it hot. This oats upma or masala oats is a great breakfast dish. Super healthy and nutritious. It is very filling and awesome for weight loss.