Brown rice is a wonderful addition to your meal when you are trying to lose weight. Brown Rice is relatively low in energy density as they contain fiber, which is how they fill your stomach faster and you end up eating the smaller portion of your meal.
Besides helping in weight loss, Brown Rice is also helpful in getting bowel regularity. Now, I am not getting down to listing the benefits of brown rice. There are plenty of articles already available, you just need to ask our friend Google if you are interested. So I am not adding another write up to the glut.
I am going to share with you my one of favorite brown rice recipes. But before that, you need to know how to cook brown rice. This is because cooking brown rice can be a bit tricky and if it does not come out well when you try, you might give up on it totally and I don’t want that.😌😘
How to Cook Brown Rice
The procedure of cooking Brown Rice is the same as that of White Rice, only it takes longer (and many don’t know about it). Like white rice, they can also be cooked both in the pressure cooker as well as in kadai (Pan/ Wok).
I like the Kadai method better, so will talk about the Kadai way of cooking.
- Take 1 cup Brown Rice, wash it properly and soak it in twice as much water for about 2-3 hours.
- Heat the Kadai and put a tablespoon of oil (You can use olive oil as well).
- Once the oil has heated, add 1 teaspoon salt to it. Also, add the soaked rice into the pan along with all the water.
- Bring the water to boil and simmer the gas at the lowest possible heat. Cover the kadai with a lid.
- Let the rice cook. It will take about 20-25 minutes to fully cook. Do remember that the gas should be at the lowest temperature.
- Keep checking after 20 min, turn the gas off when you see that the water is dry.
So you see, the procedure of cooking the brown rice is exactly the same as that of white rice, only brown rice takes longer to cook. I had tried cooking brown rice a long time ago, but it was an unsuccessful attempt😢🙄(as I had not known the trick). After that, I could not gather the guts to try again, until recently, and thankfully, this time they came out well with a little help from my friends over at Health Listed.
My favorite part comes now. Turning the brown rice into lemon brown rice.
Lemon Brown Rice:
I love lemon❤ rice and so when I was looking for healthier food options to eat during my weight loss journey, I thought of making lemon rice by replacing the white rice with brown. It turned out to be a very successful experiment. I loved it and so did my eating confidants😛 and so this recipe gets an entry in my blog.
- Brown Rice (affiliate link): 1 cup cooked
- Onion: 1 large, finely chopped
- Green Chilli: 2, finely chopped (optional but recommended)
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Chana Dal: 1-2 tablespoon, soaked in water for 8-10 min
- Mustard Seeds (Rai Dana): 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: to taste
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi): 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Rice Powder (affiliate link): 2 tablespoons
- Roasted Peanuts: 1/4 Cup
- Cilantro (hara dhaniya): 1/2 cup chopped for garnishing
- Heat the pan and put the oil in it.
- Put Chana Dal in the oil and saute for about 1/2 a minute.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add curry leaves.
- Put finely chopped onions and green chilies.
- Let the onions turn transparent, then add salt, turmeric and lemon rice powder.
- Sauté for 1/2 minute and then add the cooked brown rice.
- Mix well and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the gas & add the peanuts and Cilantro and mix well.
The delicious, healthy and mouthwatering lemon brown rice is ready to be plated.
Plate & Serve with yogurt, pickle or your favorite Mint Chutney.
Do not forget to let me know how was your experience making this delicious dish. This recipe can be easily eaten in any of your main meals – breakfast, lunch or dinner.
See you soon guys! Can’t wait to hear from you!