Oats are wonderful… I have said this time and again. It is so versatile that it can be eaten in the main meal, and even as a snack.
I have already shared the recipes for Oats Porridge, an excellent breakfast option where oats are cooked with milk. I also gave the recipe for Vegetable Oats Upma, which is a healthy breakfast option and can be eaten as an evening snack as well.
Today I am going to give an Oats recipe that can be eaten as the main meal: Oats Khichdi.. here oats are cooked with yellow lentils. It is super easy and quick to make and tastes delicious when eaten hot.Basic Masala Oats Khichdi (Oats with yellow lentils) with Indian spices. #oats #healthymeal Click To Tweet
- Oats: 1 Cup
- Moong Dal (Yellow Lentil): 1/2 Cup, Washed and soaked in water for 30 min
- Onion: 1 medium sized chopped
- Tomato: 1 medium sized chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 teaspoon
- Green Chili: 2-3 chopped (optional)
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida: a pinch
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1-2 tablespoon
- Spices: Red Chili Powder(1 teaspoon), Coriander Powder(1-2 teaspoon), Tumeric Powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Cilantro: for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add asafoetida as well as the cumin seeds into the oil.
- Add Onions and sauté. When the onions turn transparent, add ginger garlic paste and sauté.
- Add tomato and green chili. Mix Well.
- Put Moong Dal (Yellow Lentil) and Oats into the pan and mix well.
- Add the salt and spices.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring it to boil. Simmer the gas and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for 30 min.
- Check after 30 min whether the dal and oats are properly cooked. If you need your khichdi to be more diluted, you can add more water and bring it to boil.
- Your khichdi is ready. Pour it into a bowl and garnish it with cilantro.
You can have it with yogurt, pickle or chutney. I have mine without anything. I like it just like it. Sometimes I have a glass of buttermilk with it, which again is very refreshing and filling.
Do try the recipe and let me know what you ate it with.