Sooji Upma is the very famous breakfast dish made in many Indian households. It is very easy to make and is so light on the stomach. So if nothing comes to mind, we make sooji upma. You can have it any time of the day, it is quite a healthy snack too.
Sooji (Suji) is also known as Semolina, Rava or cream of wheat. There are two types of semolina available in the market – Coarse or Fine. It is always a good idea to buy the Coarse sooji, and if any recipe requires you to use fine sooji, you can always grind the Coarse Sooji.
To make the Sooji Upma we are going to use the Coarse Sooji.
- Sooji: 1 Cup
- Onion: 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1″ grated
- Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Green Chili: 2-3 medium sized, slit in half
- Cooking Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala: 1 teaspoon
- Cilantro: 1/2 cup
The recipe I am giving you here is of the basic sooji upma, if you want to make vegetable sooji upma, you can add the vegetables as per your liking. The most common vegetables that people add to the upma are, carrot, peas, beans, corn. Many all add pomegranate seeds as well (for garnish)
- Heat a wok and put the sooji into it. Dry roast the sooji, but don’t let it turn golden. Take it out on a plate.
- Now in the same wok, pour the oil and then put the mustard seeds.
- Once they start to splutter, put the curry leaves and green chili.
- After half a minute, put onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes, till the onions turn transparent.
- Put the grated ginger and saute again. Put salt.
- (If you are making vegetable sooji upma, then this is the step where u need to add your veggies. Let the chopped veggies cook properly/ become tender, before moving to the next step)
- Put 2.5 cups of water into the wok, mix well and cover the lid. Bring the water to the boil.
- Now pour the roasted sooji into the wok and keep mixing.
- After about a minute, remove the lid and mix well.
- Switch off the gas, put garam masala and mix.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
Sooji Upma is ready to serve. While many like to add veggies to the upma, I like to have it simple, just the basic sooji upma.
You may also like to see:
If you have tried any of the above recipes, do let me know by writing in the comment section below. Will meet soon with the next recipe.