In my previous post, I spoke about a few scenarios in which people OVEReat, without even realising that they are doing so. I am sure reading the post must have alarmed you as well. Today I am going to talk about what changes we can make in our lifestyle in order to prevent ourselves from OVEReating and shift to Eating Right.
In Step# 4 activity of the Learn to Lose Weight the Right Way, I asked you to write down all that you eat during the day. This is sort of an awareness activity for you to observe what you are eating, and to identify the culprit in your daily diet that is causing you to gain weight.
There is a very thin line between Eating Right & OVEReating.
Eating Right is when you are eating your meals in portions and stopping at the right time. You may like read the full article on how to start eating right here.
OVEReating, on the other hand, is when we continue to eat till our stomach is full or much beyond that, till the stomach is uncomfortably full. Then our poor tormented stomach reacts acidity, burps, farts, bloating, constipation, etc. So we end up eating antacids, hot water, laxatives and other digestives. 😳😳
Keep in mind… IF YOU TROUBLE YOUR STOMACH, IT’LL TROUBLE YOU BACK.
Now let us see what lifestyle changes we can do in order to make a deliberate shift from OVEReating to Eating Right: (For ease of understanding I will take you scenarios from my previous post: 10 Shocking Facts about Overeating you need to know, to stop doing it?
Weight loss is not about eating less or eating diet or eating diet food in excess, the key is in eating right: Step# 5 of my Learn to Lose Weight the Right Way.
- Prepare the food in lesser quantity than what you do now.
- If there is even one spoon sabzi left, store it. You can use that sabzi as filing in bread for your 11 AM meal the next day.
- Reduce the serving size for your children/ spouse. You can always give them more when they have finished the first serving. If food is still left on their plate & you don’t want to store it, it is better to throw that food. Don’t eat it yourself to torture your stomach. Whether now or the next morning in the loo, you decide.😜 If you do now, you save yourself the suffering… It is important to RESPECT your Stomach.
- For the leftover tiffin/ lunch, eat it as part of your dinner or a full meal on its own. Don’t eat the tiffin AND also the dinner. DO NOT increase your meal size.
- If you are at a party, you already know the whole drill, there will be snacks and then the main course and then the dessert. Distribute your servings accordingly. Decide in your mind the quantity you shall have and stick to it. One-off binge eating episode is fine, but don’t make it a habit, will talk about it in the net post.
Don’t confuse boredom or greed with hunger
- If you are liking your meal or after eating your share, you still feel hungry & want to eat more, wait for 10 minutes before you take that additional serving. There would be a temptation, but you have to be sure that you really ARE hungry and not greedy. Remember: Food expands after going inside the stomach and if you give a 10-minute break, you’ll realise that you are not hungry at all.
- If your favourite meal is cooked, eat only what is right. If you want to have more, wait till your next meal time. You can also store it and have it as your meal later or next day. Like, have one dosa every morning for breakfast or a pizza piece with your evening tea. This way even your stomach will appreciate it.
- If you are bored, find yourself a hobby. Overeating is NO hobby, it is just giving torture to your body. Have water if you have opened the refrigerator.
- Eat only when it is time for your meal, not otherwise. I will also write soon about the in-between meal fillers (for if you are hungry in between your 2-hour meals)
Leaving you with a few thoughts!
Do remember, focus and determination will help you achieve your weight loss goal (Step#1 of my Learn to Lose Weight the Right Way). So the next time you want to OVEReat, you will remember that the more you eat, the further you will get away from your weight loss goal.
Do write down the occasions from your routine life when you overeat in the comments below, would love to know from you.