I meet a lot of people who feel that they know about losing weight, but then they also have their own excuses for not being able to apply what they know about losing weight in order to lose their own weight. Some blame it on their health conditions, some complaint of their work stress and many others put blame on their lifestyle or personal conditions.
To me, these excuses are all in their mind… the excuses that bud in the mind but eventually become a roadblock to their development and growth… and if we analyze the reason, we will realize that these excuses are a result of some sort of fear they have…
… fear of failure: What if I try, but I am not able to lose weight? I will end up being a laughing stock.
…fear of performance: What if I gain weight after losing it; I am not able to sustain it?
…fear of the unknown: What will happen to my image or to me, if I lose weight? How will people react to my new look? And my relationship, will people change their attitude towards me? What if my friends get jealous or feel betrayed…?? Some are ever afraid to lose weight because of loose skin.
… fear of attention: What if I become overly attractive? Yes, some fear this too! 🤔🤔. Some people are afraid to lose weight because of attention; that is because they have issues with attention, which is why they want to look unattractive; and their weight or unattractive figure acts as a protective shield for them;
Sometimes we get over self-conscious, with how we are, that it never occurs to us that we can do something to change it… we are so used to the way people behave with us, that we feel scared that if we change ourselves, our relationships will change too…
These fears or excuses or insecurities makes us vulnerable and we get afraid to lose weight… Even when the voice inside us screams to tell us that an overweight body is not good for us and we need to do something about it… we absolutely ignore the idea.
Do you belong here!
If you think that you are one of the above, then all I want to say to you is…. YOU are NOT alone… we are all scared of something or the other… you are, I am, we all are… But if we continue to be scared, it is we who will suffer. So the sooner we find a way to overcome our weight loss fears and insecurities, the earlier we will become a winner by conquering our fears.
Learn How you can Overcome your Weight Loss Fears
In this blog I will discuss a few ways which can help you to face your Weight Loss fears and overcome them:
- Acceptance that you are afraid to lose weight: One should have a realization that there is a problem, and then only a solution can be worked on. This is really the beginning. So, first thing’s first, accept that you are afraid to lose weight. Only you will know the signs, take any of the about cases as a reference.
- Identifying the issue: Now that you have realized that you have a problem, you need to find out the reason behind it. This may require a lot of thinking at your end. But it is important to know why you are afraid. It can be a past event or something else that is stuck in your mind so strongly that you have ended up with this fear. It will be a good idea to really put a finger on the cause. Write it down, once you become aware of it.
- Seek Support, if required: If you are troubled and need help, you can always ask your trusted people for it. Speak to them, explain the issue and seek support. You can also take counseling from a professional that will help you open up. Don’t completely discard the thought of talking to someone who can help you to identify the cause of your attitude towards weight loss.
- Convince yourself to work on it: Identifying the issue is important and once you do it, either yourself or with the help of your trusted one, you need to commit to yourself that you would do everything in your might to fight your fears. Every fear remains a fear until faced and worked upon. Whatever it takes, you will do it and come out a winner.
- Believe that you can do it: Have faith in yourself that you can do it… You can fight your fears. Only when you believe in yourself, things will turn out in your favor. Half the battle is won with self-belief.
How to Set your Weight Loss Goals:
- Start, don’t wait: The worst thing people do is to keep postponing to start. They keep on saying, I will do it tomorrow or I will do it when it is less cold, or not raining, or not so hot. There can be any number of excuses, and any sort of excuses… today my cat yawned or my dog sneezed, so today is not a good day to start…😂😂.. So without any further ado, just start, even if it is a stretch a day or 5-min walk, JUST START.
- Set Smaller Achievable Goals: One mistake many do is that they set huge targets for themselves, sometimes unreasonable targets, like losing 30 kgs in 15 days or 15 kgs in a week. It is best to set achievable targets like 3 kgs a week or something like that and then work towards it. Small achievements keep you motivated and help you to keep going, till you have finally reached your final goal. So don’t forget your ultimate target, but set smaller goals. It really helps. I was able to lose my weight because I had set very reasonable smaller targets for myself (read my weight loss story here) but kept on working till I reached my ultimate targeted weight.
- Don’t Over-Stress trying to be always Perfect: Be reasonable not only in setting your goals but for yourself as well. There are good days and there are bad days, some days you would even end up gaining some weight but some days would be good. Don’t give up and don’t be unfair to yourself. I know people who starve themselves because they could not resist eating a pastry the previous day. This is NOT the right way of losing weight, this is the way to torture yourself.
- Think Long Term: It really is hilarious when people tell me, Oh I didn’t eat my dinner but I weigh more than what I did yesterday or I have been cycling for two days, but still nothing is happening. Losing weight is not a one-off thing, DON’T EXPECT INSTANT RESULTS. You need to be patient, persistent and consistent, to be able to lose weight and more importantly sustain it. You need to work on your lifestyle.
A few words before ending…
I do hope this blog will help you fight your weight loss fears and you would no longer consider losing weight as a gigantic task and keep postponing it.
Don’t wait any longer, take your first step today towards a healthy you.
If you are looking for help to lose weight, then the best way to start is to subscribe to my blog. You will get instant access to a free weight loss e-course, which will guide you to work on your weight is step by step.